My book.

My book.
"Fascinating" Stephen S. Hall. writer, N.Y.Times magazine. "Hard to put down." A.C.P.A., American Chronic Pain Association.

Total Pageviews

Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2011

A new Battery has me revved and ready to go

The surgery to change the battery went well.

It was typical. I had to be there at 9 for a hoped for 11 a.m. OR time. I got to the OR at 3, it took maybe 20 minutes and yet I was not released until 7 p.m.

They insisted someone come with me and take me home. I was so very lucky that a gentleman from the church agreed and was not annoyed at the amount of time involved. (Thank you so much Bob.)

I was amazed at how it was done with all preparations to go ahead with anaesthesia. The anaesthesiologist was there. I was IV'ed, monitored, oxygen hose hooked up to my nose.

It was a shot of novacaine, nothing different than being in the E.R. to get a cut sutured. Such a big deal over not much.

I thought other patients also asked for just the shot. I was very surprised to find out it was only me.

Suddenly I understood the need for all the preparations. They were afraid that I might yell out in the middle of it all "Put me out!! Put me out!! I did not.

It hurt, for sure, but a shot of anaesthetic always does. I did not anticipate the battery being stuck. Dr. Sharon, the surgeon, had to yank and pull it out of the skin pouch. My face was covered, a nurse checking every once in a while to make sure I had some air to breathe, so I could not see. I wonder if I could have watched would he have had one foot against the bottom of the litter, one on the floor and a pair or pliers to help wrench it out? I have to admit that did hurt, a lot. Then it was out and the pain was over.

Today, 2 days later, it hurts if I move my arm a certain way (well then don't move it like that as the joke goes) and the area where the new one now sits is sore but that should be gone quickly.

I was a little afraid to change the way the implant works, making the settings stronger. But as always, impatience got the best of me and I turned up a little more.

I am keeping my fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment