My book.

My book.
"Fascinating" Stephen S. Hall. writer, N.Y.Times magazine. "Hard to put down." A.C.P.A., American Chronic Pain Association.

Total Pageviews

Pages

Sunday, December 26, 2021

A GIFT TO BE REVERED

https://www.painnewsnetwork.org/stories/2021/12/24/a-gift-to-be-revered (first published on Pain News Network I was thinking, “It's Christmas time. I'm supposed to be happy.” Instead, I am by myself in the parking lot, observing others walking with friends, enjoying each other, and the frivolity of the season. And I am jealous. I hear the laughter as they walk past me, reveling in the joy of the holiday. And I am jealous. I feel the biting cold, as I watch them pull scarves tight around their necks, pulling them up over chins and around their ears. Others tugging on their hats to keep out the cold. And I am jealous. This is my holiday, alone, unable to enjoy the cold and the fun of the season. My pain has left me mostly housebound. I rarely go out, not a conscious choice, but one the pain made for me. I don't want to go out when I am in pain. I don't want to go out when the pain is quiet because I don’t want to trigger it. Alone in my house, there is no one to befriend me. I have no family, they abandoned me years ago. Despite all the brain surgeries for my trigeminal neuralgia, they still think I am lazy and a malingerer. Friends I had long ago moved, died or the relationships just ended, as often happens in the normal scheme of things. My pain is in my face. It doesn't allow me to wear a hat or pull a scarf around my ears and face. Winter and Christmas add to the litany of so many other things the pain has stolen from me. For many people, parties await and shopping expeditions abound, anticipating the great morning of everyone around a tree, opening gifts and squealing at the wonderfulness of what they received. But they are anathemas to us. It is not that we hate the excitement, the time spent with others celebrating, the fun of seeing all the decorations and storefronts with their mystical, musical displays. It is that we hate the pain. It is knowing that if we say yes to the offer of going to a party, walking around the stores or exploring the neighborhood, we are saying yes to the pain. We are agreeing to put ourselves in what, for us, is danger. And that makes Christmas not so much fun. “Attention must be paid,” wrote Arthur Miller in “Death of a Salesman.” Willy Loman, the main character, was just a regular person. “Not the finest character that ever lived,” his wife says to his sons. “But he’s a human being, and a terrible thing is happening to him. So attention must be paid.” We are human beings and pain is the terrible thing that has happened to us. And attention must be paid. If there is no one else, I and the pain community hear each other. We pay attention. And that is a gift to be revered.

5 comments:

  1. I have had Trigeminal neuralgia for 20 years and I am in pain every day of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also suffer from chronic pain I see a therapist go to pain management have herniated disks arthritis I'm 56 have gastritis the pain was to much for my body to handle even with an opioid in me that I take responsibly bought on which I have had for years one of the worst panic attacks I have ever had the hospital gave me Valium as a last ditch effort if nothing else worked when you can't breathe your body goes into flight or fight well I was fighting I had to take the Valium to stop the panic attack bought on by chronic pain it put me to sleep the only way to stop it in my case stress and pain together was a perfect storm for a panic attack

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have long covid and someone else also had it!!! But they told me that they took amino acid and was cured.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant writing and on the nose. It seems inevitable that painful conditions push those we love away from us. It is not human to be unable to embrace, unable to smile, to play.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing valuable information about chronic pain Red Deer. Keep up the great work in raising awareness and promoting a healthier lifestyle in Red Deer!"

    ReplyDelete