My book.

My book.
"Fascinating" Stephen S. Hall. writer, N.Y.Times magazine. "Hard to put down." A.C.P.A., American Chronic Pain Association.

Total Pageviews

Pages

Friday, March 5, 2021

It’s Time for People in Pain To Be Heard

(copied from https://www.painnewsnetwork.org/stories/2021/3/4/its-time-for-people-in-pain-to-be-heard I just had my second “there's an issue with filling your codeine prescription” incident. I have been on codeine, on and off, for over 30 years. Initially, I was allowed refills. When that was no longer permitted, my doctor gave me a new prescription, each and every month, for 120 pills. When my trigeminal neuralgia pain became somewhat better as a result of various surgeries, I often took only 1 or 2 pills per day. I am now about 90% housebound. Part of it is due to Covid, but mostly it’s because I do not want to go out and make the baseline pain worse. As a result, some days I take no codeine at all. My last prescription was for 120 pills. It was a month’s supply that lasted for 9 months. The first incident was last year, when my pain management doctor decided, without discussing it with me, that he was no longer writing scripts for 120 codeine pills a month. Instead, he changed it to 10 pills a month. I was told he didn’t like me having extra pills, a nonsensical excuse as I had no history of giving them away or taking too many. Prescriptions for 120 pills just made it easier for everyone, including the insurance company, since they would be paying less for fewer doctor appointments. Fortunately, I was able to go to my family doctor, who had no problem writing for 120 pills. They trusted me there, knowing I would not abuse them. But when I took the script to the pharmacy, I was told, “We can only fill a 7-day supply per your insurance company.” The worst part about that was not that I would have to repeatedly go back to the pharmacy, but that the cost for each 7-day supply was much more for me out-of-pocket than if they just filled the whole prescription at once. My Physician Assistant called the insurance company to ask for a pre-authorization. This would allow the pharmacy to fill the entire amount at one time. They immediately allowed it for the next 12 months, which seemed odd. If they think I should only be getting a 7-day supply, then why allow the whole script to be filled for an entire year? Either I am untrustworthy or I'm not. I am lucky. I don’t rely on daily opioids to get me out of bed, go to the store or be able to work. So many of us have no other option but to take them. My annoyance is tame compared to what other patients go through, who have been unable to get what they need due to restrictions on prescribing. Physicians for Responsible Opioid Prescribing (PROP) recently sent a letter to the AMA saying the organization shouldn’t be calling for changes in the CDC opioid guideline, even though far more people are dying from street drugs than prescription opioids. “Medically prescribed opioids remain a common gateway to illicit opioid use and are themselves frequent causes of opioid addiction and overdose, even if illicit opioids currently cause the greater number of deaths,” PROP said. PROP founder Dr. Andrew Kolodny even said that prescriptions “still have a very long way to go” and should be reduced even further. PROP’s reach is loud and strong. We complain so much to each other, patient support groups, Twitter and other social media about how awful this is, how unfair and inhumane. A number of people have started online petitions to send to the FDA or CDC, asking that the guidelines be changed so they stop hurting chronic pain patients. Many say, “This is a great idea.” Yet few actually sign. Nothing will change if we don’t band together and make our voices heard. The call keeps going out, “Something must be done!” But too often the answer is, “Oh yes, somebody must do something. But I'm too busy.” Whispering in the wind won’t help. It is long past time for us to become a true force, with a voice that is louder and stronger than PROP’s.

3 comments:

  1. But Dr. Itua, Traditional Herbal Practitioner in Africa, has cured HIV which is extracted from some rare herbs. It is highly potential to cure AIDS 100% without any residue. Dr Itua herbal medicine has already passed various blogs on how he uses his powerful herbs to heal all kinds of diseases such as. Herpes, HIV,,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Colo_Rectal Cancer, Diabetes, Hepatitis,Hpv,Weak ErectionLyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroqquinolone Toxicity,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresS sclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,Dementia.,Wart Remover,Cold Sore, Epilepsy, also his herbal boost immune system as well. I'm telling this because he uses his herbal medicine to cure me from hepatitis B and HIV, which I have been living on for 9 months now with no side effects. Herbal Medicine is just as good when drinking it although i have to use the restroom after drinking it which I don't really care about because i just want to get the virus out of my body, I will recommend Dr Itua to anyone sick out here to contact Dr Itua with this following information.Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com  /  
    Whatsapp Or Call...+2348149277967.
    He might be late to respond because he is always busy with patents, but he will surely get back to you with a positive response.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ing to a new pain management doc today, I feel much worse. It seems he does not believe in breakthrough pain, and yes, it does exist. I never thought I would have to verbally Duke it out with a doctor who is also a pm doctor just to receive the medicine I need as well as empathy and understanding that used to be the cornerstone of American Healthcare. But the possibilty of this care continuing has become extinct along with the once reliable doctors who provided this care. I am at a loss for where and how to find the quality of care from once compassionate doctors that did not have a problem writing a legitimate prescription for a narcotic that was necessary for those of us living in chronic pain. Now, I feel as though I have wondered into the twilight ]pzone where everything about pain care is surreal, and eve;;n; b[I pry doctor is like Rod Serling in the way that nothing makes sense and there us no way out for most of us living with constant pain. If only, all of these doctors who have now denied and deserted us who step up and fight for us by speaking up and questioning the government agencies who have now made our lives unbelievably difficult in managing to perform once everyday tasks and left us feeling hopeless. If all of us in this ship of lost souls would contact their congressman and tell their painful stories, we could possibly use our power of numbers to try to change this huge problem I to a manageable solution where we all win.


    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep because of a few we must all suffer.

    ReplyDelete